View Single Post
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 8th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Very True, but the ironic part is that in the "real world" the result is mostly exactly the opposite... WOC and sad to say, TSR back in the day, have the "corporate mentality" that if they constrict the supply and availability that its a cure to control the market, when in fact the reverse is usually true, especially when it comes to luring consumable income.

Having been a participant, supporter, writer, supplier and end product customer for nearly 40 years in the RPG / Gaming genre, we are, right now in a monumental upswing of RPG / Gaming choices.

Back in the Day you had companies like Mayfair, Judges Guild, etc supplying some niche elements, but wow look at all the choices now when examining the D20 OGL result... The list of good quality deverse gaming is at an alltime high.

It's ironic they can't seem to see the obvious, to restrict things to the point of isolation will mean that the masses (ie end customer) will utilize their disposable income (cause that's really where the $$ comes from) elsewhere.

When I wore a younger man's clothes, that's why we started gaming... we couldn't find a more economical means of entertainment for 10 people.

As to Niche companies like LWD, they are hitching their wagons to the wrong train.. IMO...
Gaming itself is a niche form of entertainment, and when your entire business model is a "niche of a niche" supporting that, it makes your market window very small.... The only reason that LWD has survived this long is the market is not in the downflux "lean" portion of the $$ window.

Don't misread what I mean. I hope they do survive and prosper. I know many of them and a few are even personal friends. Further I think it's a great conceptual idea that brings alot to helping me manage a game, but if they are struggling during the boon times... what happens when things (As they always do) swing towards bust?

Just a thought....
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #533 Reply With Quote