View Single Post
mazzy

Old March 10th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop618 View Post
Hi all I have an important question (at least to me) that I've been meaning to ask for awhile. I know I've mentioned bits and pieces of this question before, but this thread is hopefully the overall big picture one. I feel that a quick background about me would be helpful in tailoring potential responses. I am new to D&D, have only played a few sessions with friends that were mainly character creation and joking around. I want to be a writer, and that part is a large influence/focus.

The list below is all of the resources that I currently have in my possession. I've realized that in my beginners rage loot, I got multiple programs/apps that basically did the same thing. What I am asking is for somebody who knows more about D&D to help me out with organizing this list. Are there any of these programs that are compatible with each other? Thanks in advance.

[snip]
I'm a newish DM (started about 9'ish months ago) but had previously played D&D 3/3.5 10'ish years ago and picked it back up about 1 year ago. I say this to let you know that I totally understand the excitement and thrill of getting started and the search for the "ONE TRUE APPLICATION" that would be the answer to my DM newbness. I have a ridiculous amount of assets sitting on my NAS and across several different cloud storage providers and went through just about every single mobile app I could find.

What I have come to realize, though, is that one won't know what software/apps will work for their DM style until they're actually DM'ing and not just a few sessions. I'm STILL trying to find my "flow" and I'm sure it will take a while longer before it finally "fits" me.

If you're the daring type, I'd take advantage of the Roll20 free sub and post a one shot that you'll DM. There is ALWAYS a need for DMs so it shouldn't take long to fill up a group, just let them know in your post that you're a first time DM, most people are extremely understanding That will be the best way for you to start figuring out what software/apps work for you and what info you need on hand. If you do decide to go that route, let me know and I'll sign up if I'm available.

If you're fairly new to D&D and/or tabletop gaming, you could also try signing up for one shots as a player via Roll20. This would give you an opportunity to see the game played without having to worry about running it. The only reason I'm saying to use R20 is because of their free tier and they have a pretty sizeable community making it fairly easy to get into a game.

With my group, we use a VTT since we are spread out across several states. DM'ing that way is a completely different experience vs. everyone around a table and your workflow will differ accordingly. If your group ends up deciding to go the VTT route, I'd be more than happy to share what tools I use and the information I've gleaned in my short time as a DM
mazzy is offline   #13 Reply With Quote