View Single Post
jfrazierjr

Old May 18th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
I guess I'd point you to the Wiki for Gizmos, then. See http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....ies_and_Gizmos for the base definition and it's covered a bit in Bootstrapping at http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....tle=Bootstraps.

For the real use-case I found it under Vehicles where trying to bootstrap things like weapons and such wouldn't work, you have to put them in as a Gizmo. So this is where I found the most useable example of that: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....hicles_(Savage)

To be honest I've always had more of a tendency to want to just get the coding part over with so I've always been a bit less concerned about the reasons why something is done some way (or even, at times, what it means) and more about just that it works. So you might need someone like CC or Mathias to get into the nitty-gritty of that side of it.

As for Sci-Fi, it adds quite a bit of stuff, including tabs for power armor, cyberware, robots, lots of extra bits.

Finally, on magic items while I've certainly done some, probably there are a few in the Deadlands Noir setting for example, for the most part I don't think I ever really did anything more than use them like they were Edges. So any bonuses would just be coded on a piece of equipment the same way I would do it for an Edge and I didn't use any Gizmos with them. (As a side note I'd probably say DLNoir is probably the most complete of all the data files I've made and can be useful for examples. The other one that's my go-to especially for vehicles, which use Gizmos and such, is Weird War II.)

That's probably especially true when making a settings file for general use because you can't really assume that someone has the Companion add-ons so working within the basic framework is usually best to make it accessible to the most people. Not all modules are like that, I think High Space requires the Sci-Fi Companion, for example, and I know Necessary Evil requires the Super Powers Companion. I think Interface Zero will also be one that requires SFC while I think Rifts will need SPC. But where possible I, personally, try to make settings without assuming the need for a Companion.
Thanks a TON zarlor, the direct links will help a ton. I am slowly going through the wiki AND building from the authoring kit baseline, but have not worked up to those sections yet.

While my immediate focus is on fantasy since that's the campaign I am converting from, I guess it would make some sense to go ahead and pick up the sci-fi module for hero-lab as well as the source pdf from Pinnacle. While I have no immediate plans to deal with either in a game, I guess it might make sense if I decided to do something a bit more futuristic in the erm... future.

As for settings, I am trying to learn for my own personal use and possibly to share with any of my players who might pick up HL and don't plan to add settings directly. To be honest, I don't have much interest in most settings SW has and converted mainly to get a simpler game system for fantasy and PERHAPS do some supers or PERHAPS Deadlands one-shots. The only other possible similar genre I would even consider running in Savage Worlds would be something like ShadowRun because I love that universe, but don't really like the mechanics that much. I won't say never, but I just don't really have much interest in other genres.

For example, I see MI Skills and MII Skills, but if I copy them, there are no bootstraps, no fields, nothing on them, so what are they for.. what do they do? Are they used in a way similar to how I "think" the concept of tags works?

I guess I am trying to wrap my head around why a gizmo(vs the approach you did for DLN) is needed, so off to the wiki to see if it can explain it.
jfrazierjr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote