Thread: Ken's videos
View Single Post
King Chicken

Old December 17th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Read the last comment and thought I'd offer some solidarity... and my own brand of organizing

I've been inputting Golarion-related background and the rabbit hole is so deep, my Places section and the People section were out of control. I settled on a structure for places I think will make things a little easier to navigate (for me. Smelly players... never looking at my precious)

Top level
Planet
-Continents and Oceans
--National Entities and Major structures (glaciers, mountain ranges etc...)
---4 stubs per nation:
---Major and minor settlements (Capital on down, based on Gazetteer)
---Interior Features (sub areas of natural spaces like forests, rivers, mountains that were created from whole cloth at the previous level)
---Major NPCs of (insert nation/area here)
---National Groups (like the National Army, or spy groups, government)
----Each settlement gets 4 containers (used or not)
----Local Groups (local adventurer's guild, Loyal order of Waterbuffalo, that kind of thing)
----Local NPCs of Note (the cast list of people not likely to affect the nation, but matter to the town)
----Major and Minor Districts (no settlement is homogeneous)
----Adventure Areas (catch all, local swamps inhabited by rabid chickens, what have you)

The pattern for settlements can be applied to Interior Features if it is inhabited, like a forest full of druids.

For example:
Golarion (planet)
-Avistan (continent)
--Taldor (National entity)
---King Jerkface (Nation level NPC - he can travel so pinning him to the capital doesn't make sense)
---The Jerkface Knights (National Group)
---The forest of Ugly Sticks (interior feature)
---Cassomir (city)
----Abbey Green (District)
----The local Hangman (Local NPC - he's not going anywhere short of a war)
-----The Pub in Abbey Green that the local Hangman drinks at (location in a district)

This way when I open up RW, I just collapse the Hierarchy and then open to the specific place I may want without a lot of little stubs open everywhere.

And since I repeat this structure multiple times, I do go through the Names dialogue (Ctrl-Shift-A) and set the linking to "never" for the container topics.

RW: D&D 5e Sandbox campaign - Faerun
RW: Pathfinder Sandbox in Greyhawk - waiting for Marketplace for PF rules
Using Fantasy Grounds for VTT, Waiting for Roll20Pro(Mage Hand) Release
RW: Paizo - Strange Aeons AP

Last edited by King Chicken; December 17th, 2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added a bit about names
King Chicken is offline   #10 Reply With Quote