View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
At 09:53 PM 2/2/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
Selecting intelligence bonus languages based on race in the Background tab seems to work fine (including Languages Allowed for a custom race), but when I select Speak Language as a skill, I'm forced to go back to the Background tab and choose from leftover racial bonus languages. Unless I’m mistaken, the skill should enable a character to choose from any allowable campaign language.

Ideally, I think selecting Speak Language should trigger a dialog box to select any campaign language not already known (seems more intuitive than going back to background). However, if the language selection for a Speak Language skill will still be chosen in the Background tab (I realize this might be easier to implement within the existing architecture), the selection list should be any campaign language not already known.
Since the Skills tab merely assigns skill points to languages, they must still be selected somewhere. So selecting them on the Background tab is easiest way of handling this. However, this brings up the issue of distinguishing race/class restricted languages from "any" language when skill points are used.

Perhaps a better solution here would be to change the way that skill points are allocated to languages. Instead of assigning skill points to a single total, languages could be handled like a Knowledge:Other skill. When you add the skill, it requires you assign the proper skill points, plus it uses a menu to choose which language is learned via the skill.

What do you think?

-Rob

NOTE! Doing this will BREAK existing characters. The current skill would go away, so any points assigned to it will disappear and the character will have to be corrected to the new method. Existing portfolios should still load fine, except for the hero needing to be fixed after the load.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote