View Single Post
Merion

Old January 18th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
That's pretty much what the Mechanics articles are for.. adding the appropriate reference materials to Realm Works so they can be auto-linked.

While it may sound like a good idea on first blush, when you think about the details, it may be less so.

There are several problems with auto-linking to external sources:
  1. The URL may become broken over time
  2. The chosen resource may not be appropriate for the rules being used (Pathfinder references vs D&D 5e vs D&D 4e vs Star Wars, etc.)
  3. The chosen resource may be one that the GM does not wish to use (d20pfsrd vs PRD vs Archives of Nethys)
  4. If the topic is to be scanned for potential keyword matches to external sources, saving changes could take forever
  5. Suggesting external sources would increase the number of "Ignore" clicks required on pretty much every save of every topic (which is one reason why some people may not want to add Mechanics articles to their Realms at all) (Related to #4)
  6. Increased workload for LWD developers maintaining/ curating the lists of matches (necessary to deal with #2) leading to reduced progress on anything else in Realm Works
  7. Widespread use of external links inside Realm Works would make it more dependent upon having an internet connection at all times (or the links will be useless), which is only attractive to some users.
Ah, you think this is supposed to be hard-wired in? I understood the OP so, that the GM has to define this link behavior once manually and after that RW always links there.
To stay with my example above, I'd expect the GM to insert a hyperlink for the word "cleric" and then check a box "always link there" and in the future everytime the word "cleric" is typed it links to the webpage.
Merion is offline   #7 Reply With Quote