View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2006, 09:18 PM
At 07:26 PM 2/20/2006, you wrote:
Quote:
I have Unit1, it has option1. If option1 is selected, it adds a childtype linked of unit 2.

In unit2, I want option3; if this option is selected, it should replace option1 with option3.

In other language:

Platoon has the option of adding a LT.

If you add an LT, I want to be able to select him, and then add a suit of armor, which would replace him with the unit of armored LT.

What is the best way to do this? I've tried exclusion groups, but can't seem to hit on the right combination to achive this.
I may be confused, since your explanation sounds strange to me. If I understand correctly, you have a "Platoon" unit which has a "Lieutenant" option. This option attaches a child "Lieutenant" unit automatically. The "Lieutenant" unit has an option for "Armor". Now's where I get confused....

If the user selects the "Armor" option for the "Lieutenant" unit, you want the existing "Lieutenant" unit to be replaced with a different "Armored Lieutenant" unit. Is this correct????

If I've understood correctly, that can't be done and it doesn't make any sense to try. The option on the Lieutenant unit can modify the Lieutenant. It can also modify the Platoon unit. But it cannot both delete the unit that the option is being assigned to and add a different unit to the Platoon unit.

I think the trick here is to create a single Lieutenant unit and an "Armor" option, just as you have already done. As part of the "Armor" option, you should use tags/scripts/whatever to modify the Lieutenant unit to properly reflect the changes of having the Armor. In the situations where you need to use the Lieutenant with an Armor option, assign the option to the unit via a link with as user-selectable link nature (e.g. "cost"). In the situations where you want the Armor forcibly assigned to the unit, use an automatic selection link nature (e.g. "auto"). You can create two separate links to the same option and assign each of them a different "Live" tag expression, where this tagexpr controls the conditions under which the link applies.

It's also quite possilbe that I'm completely misunderstanding the situation. If so, please outline the problem in more detail so that I can grasp it. Please explain the army construction goal in plain English, since I need to understand the ultimate objective that you're trying to achieve. Please err on the side of too much information, since I probably am not familiar with the gam system, and extra info gives me the best change of fully understanding on the first try. :-)

-Rob
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote