View Single Post
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 7th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
But if you don't like that route then is it still a good thing for us to request a method whereby we could, within the context of a script, get some kind of command for, I don't know, #bootstrap.thing, if you will? I know a huge amount of developer time there is focused on Realm Works, but maybe once that gets released and the initial hump of fixes/features for it are out the door maybe that could be something you guys could look into for us. It just seems to make more sense to many of us, I think, rather than just bootstrapping something and then conditionally blocking it from showing.
There is no way that a script can ever be used to bootstrap something. Hero Lab must generate a list of all scripts that exist before the phase & priority sequence can be started, so something that runs its own scripts must already be present before the phase & priority sequence starts.

What bootstrap conditions do is to put the item in place, and then make it non-live, meaning that none of its scripts are run after it goes non-live - those scripts still exist in the list of scripts to run, but they're flagged as non-live.

I consider bootstrap conditions a major hassle and headache - the fact that Test Now! doesn't handle them properly makes them time-consuming to test once one has been created, and I find them complicated to set up - that's why I don't recommend using them too widely. The other major problem with them is that they're hard to extend if a new book adds new options for them, because you have to edit the existing item to add new bootstraps.
Mathias is offline   #20 Reply With Quote