View Single Post
Chemlak

Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:36 AM
Just to mention, in the context of this thread: I believe that LWD have (and may still be) had talks with a number of VTT publishers with respect to tighter available integration of LWD products with VTTs (I'm not aware of the technical terminology) to simplify porting things like Hero Lab portfolios into those products. I would be frankly amazed if such discussions didn't also include leveraging Realm Works.

Imagine, if you will, being able to click a button in Realm Works to export a map, or a portfolio, then click another button in the VTT to import that map/portfolio, in full, seamlessly.

That level of data transparency would be incredibly useful, and would allow LWD to do what they do best, without reinventing the wheel: the design and creation of tracking/management software, as opposed to live play software.

I believe it is entirely possible to achieve, but would not necessarily be easy, and requires pushing from both sides: LWD need to know that we, their customers, want this sort of feature, and the VTT publishers need to know it, too.

Speaking as someone who uses a VTT (Roll20 in my case), I have neither the time nor the desire to learn the technical aspects of another VTT application. I want my existing VTT to work with HL and RW. So that's where I'm going to put my effort: persuading those involved to work on simplifying such integration, on making the apps "talk" to each other.

Well, after I work on persuading LWD that the custom calendar feature in RW should be more important than anything else, that is.
Chemlak is offline   #9 Reply With Quote