View Single Post
EightBitz

Old September 13th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Really? I've never heard that. Why is it dangerous?
Some vendors have poor security. Hell, the news just broke that Equifax got hacked. I think debit cards have also historically suffered from a lack of the types of fraud protections that credit cards have had. I think that's been changing, though.

However, there's no guarantee that using a credit card in-store is any safer. Case in point, Target being hacked a while back. I've also heard cases of people getting hit with fraudulent charges after using their cards at restaurants and in cabs.

Unfortunately, we live in a time where "the good guys" have not been serious enough about security (even cars can now be hacked and remotely controlled), and consumers have fewer and fewer choices about opting out.

Keep in mind, I'm offering a general answer here. I'm not putting all of this on LWD. I can't say if LWD is any better off or worse off than any other company. I don't have that level of knowledge.

My bank offers the equivalent of a pre-paid debit card, but with no fees. Whenever I want to make an online purchase, I transfer the amount to that card and make the purchase with that card. If anyone hacks that card, they won't get much. They'll just get the equivalent of pocket change.

What worries me more than anything else right now is the Equifax hack.
EightBitz is offline   #99 Reply With Quote