Thread: Lankhmar
View Single Post
zarlor

Old October 20th, 2017, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
I guess my thought process here is why should it be that much extra work to give a weapon a name?[snip]
Maybe it would be easier if HL just added a custom text field? Rather like a Trappings field for Powers?

Quote:
See this is one thing that bugs me about that thought proccess. When I use a character builder, the goal is to both make it easier to build and maintain a character as well as help during gameplay in some way. For the later, that means to me that all the meta information, things such as PP, name, duration, range, etc be clearly and quickly available to me via a print out or pdf on a tablet at the table. I am a bit less pedantic about full rule details as that level of copy/paste can then potentially run afoul of copyright laws, but the high level stuff should be in the editor in some way so that it can get output to the character sheet and not have to be constantly looked up.
I both agree and disagree here. I modified the base character sheet output to include full descriptions instead of summaries for that very reason, but I definitely do not expect a character builder to handle situational modifiers. A VTT program, sure, but not a character builder. However, maybe this is another situation where having an available text field, again like trappings for powers, might be useful if you wanted to jot down all the situational modifiers that could potentially apply. That's just my take, though, and may just reflect how much time I would bother with when making a data file personally.

Quote:
If you can find an example of this in the existing game files(or one you can send if it's not in the downloader), please let me know. As I mentioned this seemed like a hard one to handle and I was thinking vaguely of doing something like this in my personal game just a few hows before reading it in the Lankmar source book(though it's still a thought and not an absolute going to do). My end goal is to try to not add things to my personal game unless they can be modeled in HeroLab AND modeled in a way that does not seem clunky to my players.
What about this from the Common Code Examples thread?

Quote:
For adding a bonus to a trait based on Rank.

Eval Script: Pre-Traits/5000

Code:
var bonus as number
bonus = herofield[acRank].value + 1
perform #traitadjust[trCommand,+,bonus,"Valhalla Graduate"]
CapedCrusader has noted of this: "For NPC's though, since we don't know what Rank they are until everything is bought, and it can change every time something on the character changes, it has to be populated much later. So, be aware that using the acRank value can be somewhat unpredictable with NPC's."
Obviously that is for bumping up a bonus to a trait, but potentially could be used to add a free Edge then bootstrap that edge. Not sure if you'd have to then trap for each Rank to make sure you are only apply that one Edge at each Rank. I'd have to play with that, though.

As for technical expertise to do these things... well, plenty of folks here have more of that than I do. And time, and inclination, is always a bit of an issue for me was well. Still, if someone takes care of a lot of the copy and paste work (especially for Pinnacle produced stuff, since LWD has an agreement with them already in place, so a lot less worries acout copyright issues if we give the files to LWD to put into the official updater) then I'm more likely to put in the little bit of extra time to do some coding work to finish out a file than I am to just do the file on my own for a setting I'm not otherwise working with for you own gaming group.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #19 Reply With Quote