View Single Post
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
Sounds like some ego boosting yourself
Having known more then my share of authors/designers in the industry, I agree that there are some large egos there but there are also some fragile ones too. When I was a chat room host for WotC there was some authors and designers that refused to come in to the chat room for discussions unless there was a host there to make sure nothing untoward was said and or done.

Having said all of this. I am still not sure I am all for 5th edition and the place it is going too. I think that they are digging a hole for themselves because it is fast becoming an edition that will backwards compatible for all editions and thus the "last" one that could be made then. That is usually the consensus of most peoples way of thinking from what I am reading so far.
If that were the case, then GURPS would never have made it past 1st edition, it's on 4e now.
I doubt it will be "Backwards compatible" but more of a GURPS thing, with a very base core system, and then add-ons you can buy to expand the rules and capabilities.

Say for instance a Swashbuckling rulebook. There would be a 1e/2e style Swashbuckler, who's pretty much fixed in place, a 3/3.5e Swashbuckler who probably resembles the one from 3.5 but it updated to 5e mechanics (including more robust skills, feats, etc), and a 4e style one with most of that plus powers.

There might be Fighter/Rogue/Cleric/Wizard style swashbuckler classes in the book.
cryptoknight is offline   #27 Reply With Quote