View Single Post
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
What makes me upset about D&D next the most is that they are almost afraid to release the entirety of the beta for it and gives us bits and pieces of it instead. This does not make sense to me. Paizo does an open beta where they reveal practically everything about it and WotC... bits and pieces. What are they afraid of?
To be honest, it could be that they do not have it all written up as finalized product at this time. This playtest makes "everything" subject to alteration and revision. They want us to test each piece so that if we don't like something we can give them ideas on how it should be fixed or altered.

Take the advantage / disadvantage thing as an example. My players hate it. Simply for the fact at least two players in the group are not the best at dice rolls, one of them is usually rolling natural 1s. Now rolling two dice and keeping the better or worse does a lot of good when he rolls a 1 and a 2. We've seen him do this enough times to know that his luck is just bad on dice. We prefer a system of fixed bonus / penalty like +2 / -2 to the advantage / disadvantage. We also feel as a whole that the critical hit mechanic should include a roll to CONFIRM the critical do to what it does.
RavenX is offline   #22 Reply With Quote