View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 6th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfyre View Post
I understand your adding new group play options that require online connections to work, but what part of character creation and ship creation in Starfinder require such vast retooling that they can not be done in an offline mode?

I don't mind paying a small fee for online content, but I don't accept paying what amounts to an extortion fee to use data packs I have to pay extra for just to create a character / ship.

I'd like a clearer explanation as to why this is necessary because it honestly sounds like the real explanation is "to force you to buy HLO".
The Hero Lab Engine has to run somewhere. It's an incredibly complex piece of code that provides a custom language for defining everything for each game system. So we either have to port that to EACH DEVICE or we run it on a server. Porting it to each device is utterly impractical for our tiny team, so we're going to run it on a server and use a web-based solution to access it. And running it on a server lets us do a heck of a lot more with the product than simply putting the Engine on every device.

I'm not sure how else to explain this. Everything that users have purchased in the past will continue to run smoothly for them. It's only the new stuff we're doing with Starfinder and Hero Lab Online itself that work differently. There is no requirement that you use them. If you don't find the new options appealing, then you are free to not use them - and pay absolutely nothing.

Last edited by rob; September 6th, 2017 at 06:24 AM.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote