View Single Post
AutoDMC

Old May 13th, 2015, 09:49 PM
For clarity:

I want to use your tool. I wouldn't be posting here if I didn't. I've blasted money on crap software I've never used again in the past, and will in the future.

There are some cool features, right now that I want to use. I've already used it at my table a couple of times to throw up a map and a few dossier documents, and it's pretty slick. And once I can allow my players access to my database without having to ask them to invest even more money into the game for the "player's edition," it'll be even more awesome. (I already require them to buy the handbooks and materials.)

But every time I open up the software, I fill out about a third of an article before I realize that every drop of effort I put into putting data into RealmWorks is a duplicated drop of data I need to put into putting the data elsewhere. One of my players likes handouts that they can scribble on, for example. My backup computer can't run RealmWorks, but I can get Dropbox to work on it, so I can access text files but not RealmWorks databases.

The confinement of my data into the proprietary database keeps me from using the tool I want to use. And until I can get my data out, I can't be bothered to put it in. I won't be paying for cloud service. I won't be buying content on your market. I won't be pitching player's editions or logging into your website. Until my data is actually my data, to use any tool I wish with it, I simply can't waste my time duplicating effort.

And instead of enjoying using your flexible awesome tool, instead I open it, sigh, close it, and then go write my notes in Notepad.

I love (I mean, seriously, love) HeroLab. I hand out printouts of character sheets for the 20+ games I run at conventions, and always pitch the product to my players. I've had a couple buy it and use it for themselves because of that. I can't in good faith pitch RealmWorks the same way, or use it at the table, until I can get my data out. At least I can get a PDF from HeroLab.
AutoDMC is offline   #2 Reply With Quote