View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I read this, but am unfamiliar with the HARP system and was not sure how its skill-system worked. I guess I read too much into your question and figured that I was not qualified to answer. If you simply asked "how do you organize skills in RW", I would have given an answer similar to that you have received.

My Mechanics article tree looks like this:

ABILITIES
>Skill/Ability
>>Languages
>>>Dwarvish (Khudzul)
>Spell
>>Acid Splash

And so forth.

I'm still have a lot to enter here. So far it hasn't been a priority, because I just reference the print books. Also in DD5, skills are tied into Ability Scores and I'm still thinking about how I would organize them in RW. Currently I have ability scores under a general Gameplay Article I called "Using Ability Scores" and have a sub-article for each ability: Charisma, Constitution, ...

In DD5, skills are pretty easy to use. You just need to know which Ability governs a skill and whether you have proficiency in it.

What I am thinking about doing eventually is creating a Skills/Abilities subcategory called "Proficiencies" and then creating an article for each. I would create a relationship between the proficiency and the governing Ability. I would also add the governing ability abbreviation as a suffix to the proficiency's article name, so it reads "Acrobatics (STR)". That way I can look at the list of proficiencies and readily see the governing ability, which is generally all you need to know in DD5.

That said, this would all be more for my OCD personality wanting things to be complete. The character sheets themselves in DD5 tell you which ability governs a proficiency. Looking up a proficiency in RW would be more work than looking at your character sheet.

Feats, on the other hand, benefit from having articles. So "Feats" is a subcategory of skills/abilities.

I'm not sure, however, how to treat something like "Darkvision". I'm thinking I'll have a subcategory called "Racial Traits" or "Natural Abilities". Haven't decided yet.

I've been devoting most of my time building my homebrew world and I must admit to neglecting the game mechanics section. With a few exceptions, the task of data entry seems more onerous than flipping pages in the rule books. Still, knowing my personality, I'll get to it eventually and it is good to starting thinking more about how I'll organize this informaiton.

Last edited by MNBlockHead; May 24th, 2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Minor edits for grammar and fixing spelling and typos.
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote