View Single Post
EightBitz

Old June 10th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
just about any RNG you'll find in use today is going to be better than mass produced cheap dice.
You're confusing reality with perception.
If I'm running a game, and I'm attacking the party with a creature, a monster or an NPC, and I used HL's dice tool, and I roll three natural 20s in a row, that's not only allowed for with randomness, but it's to be expected sometimes. But that's counter-intuitive to our brain's understanding of randomness.

If I do the same thing with a physical d20, it appears symmetrical, therefore it appears to be fair. Also, people have been using dice for games much longer than we've been using computers, so it's also more "normal" and more trusted.

When it comes to understanding random number generation, computer code is more esoteric and less approachable than the perception of physical symmetry. I doubt the average gamer, even if you showed them the code, would understand the intricacies of random number generation anymore than they would have the capacity to measure the balance (and, by extension, the randomness) of a physical die.
EightBitz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote