View Single Post
Jaynay27

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:28 PM
You guys raise interesting points. I also really believe that Realm Works has the ability to be a game changer, particularly in the RPG industry (but could be used in other industries also, with some simple re-branding).

It does depend on publishers getting on board, but we are seeing more and more publishers choosing to have Herolab support for their products, which is a positive sign.

Small rant
It would be really great if companies like WOTC got on board. In the past WOTC has promised a lot in terms of digital support, but provided very little.
I remember 2nd edition had the Core Rules program (which was great at the time).
3rd edition had a limited and clunky character generator.
then 4th edition promised the world - character generator, VTT campaign management etc - with only the character/monster generator released and some unreleased beta programs that were cancelled (IIRC).

Now imagine if, instead of trying to develop these things themselves (via 3rd party licensing to develop specific programs), they leveraged RW to fulfil their customers digital needs.

As RW is system agnostic you could have all the content to run Eberron, FR, Planescape etc with whatever rules you like (I am betting that like me, there are plenty of people who would use WOTC fluff with, say, Pathfinder crunch).
Then licence Herolab for the character generator.
They seriously should do this for 5th edition if they want to claw back market share from Paizo/Pathfinder.
/end Rant

But back to the main topic - I have always been someone who prefers physical books over digital content and currently that remains unchanged. PDF's aren't bad per se, but I find them clunky to use in-game.

RW is a totally different story though, and given enough support from publishers, I can see myself purchasing a LOT of digital content in the future, in lieu of physical products (which are becoming a pain to store as I have limited space in my current home).

It would seem from a few posts here and there that LWD is aware of the licensing issues and working with publishers to iron the issues out, but we wont really know how this will look until they make some announcements.
I would think that tying content sold, to specific RW accounts would be seen as beneficial to publishers though, much like tying games to a steam account, as this *should* be seen as a measure to reduce piracy if anything.

Last edited by Jaynay27; August 24th, 2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Spelling - Blah :)
Jaynay27 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote