View Single Post
Exmortis

Old January 4th, 2017, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
All paths really need to be user definable. I was very close to requesting a refund when I installed and specified custom install and discovered that even though I directed the install to my D:/program files (x86) directory, a C:/programdata directory was also created and utilized.

Why? Because I use a SSD drive for C:/ which contains OS and static application files only. For those unfamiliar with SSD's, they dramatically speed up reads for file access so applications/programs gain a significant boost. The downside is that they have a limited number of writes to the device. Hero Lab forces a directory onto the C:/ and writes every time the program is accessed. Every time I use Hero Lab, a few bits die.... And that makes me sad.

SSD's are becoming more common for laptops and gaming systems. Cloud data support for centralized storage would be a huge plus for anyone using a desktop/laptop combo. I'd really like to see this limitation changed.

Just to put aside any fears here, you have to write a tremendous amount of data to an SSD to kill it.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/t...heyre-all-dead

I worked it out once that a standard 128GB SSD needed in the order of 64TB of data written to begin to lose cells. Please consider just how much data that is.

The above link is a test run by a online source in an attempt to kill SSDs, and it proved they have remarkable endurance.

I run SSDs in all my systems, everything, I mean everything is installed and run off them, I see no reason why one would want to gimp their performance by running the OS on an SSD and then wait for apps to run off a convention HD. Back in the day, when I ran a 1st Gen Agility it made sense to do this, but even a value line SSD has a very long life, and is the single biggest performance enhancing part of any computer.

Crucial, Adata are my go to brands. I have two of each, and my lappy has been running a 512GB Crucial for nearly 4yrs, and still not a single redirected cell.

However, mileage may vary, like any device not all are created equal even within brands and models. But there is very little reason to worry that any program will kill your SSD. Reality here is, your swap and temp files used by the OS will create far more writes then most apps.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #36 Reply With Quote