View Single Post
McTaff

Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Ok, I want to weigh in with this one myself as well with a "+1", with caveats...

I have had this discussion a long time ago in a long dead thread. I play in a Pen-And-Paper group. Most of the guys have conniptions when I ask them to send me a copy of their character sheet, let alone mess around with anything like this. Half of the group couldn't find the ProgramData folder!

Having .user files stored by default in the "My Documents" folder and being able to link to something like Dropbox (or a file uploaded on a website!) is important.

I created some templates for the characters in the Pathfinder game I am running, and I create all custom magic items in the editor and distribute the file that way. It's tedious and I have had to spend significant time each week on the phone to each of the people, telling/retelling them how to import the file. I update the file quite often, so if I can simply upload it somewhere and have HeroLab check it's version/build number when you open a file that uses it (and downloads/imports it if necessary), it'd sure speed everything up.

In addition: In addition, the prgram seems to incorporate all .user files. In the "Configure Hero" screen, on the right is a lovely check list for all the published content that can be incorporated. A button somewhere on the Configure Hero screen that takes you to a window that lists all available files (and their locations if multiple locations can be browsed and selected for Dropbox and so on) and a check-box that enables and disables them would effectively be a way of doing this for user-created content. My player do not want to have my magic items, templates and other garbage cluttering up their character selections in other campaigns!
McTaff is offline   #21 Reply With Quote