View Single Post
Ualaa

Old January 1st, 2020, 12:32 AM
I have the latest HL (windows) version and the latest Realm Works (I believe it was listed as a beta version).

Neither my 32-bit nor the 64-bit will allow Realm Works to integrate into the running portfolio.

My fix is to not rely on saving the portfolio into Realm Works for integration purposes. Basically, I have the adventure as a folder. And then each encounter listed by page number and description of what is in the portfolio. These are all Hero Lab portfolios. I'll generally load from file, and have a copy of the portfolio within RW, even though that will not integrate with a running Hero Lab. It's sometimes handy to be able to view it, from within the other app.

My RW will have the encounters for the adventure, in a descriptive sense, not necessarily the encounters entirely. But there is enough information that I know which encounter to import (from the HL portfolio, via the menu to import a character (several bad guys) into the player portfolio). This aspect is entirely Hero Lab to Hero Lab, and would work fine even without Realm Works.

If I need something from Realm Works, that for some reason I don't have within Hero Lab, there is a work around for that too. RW has the option to open whatever it is externally, which means open it with Hero Lab instead of RW. It has a really weird number for the name, but that can then be renamed to something more logical.

In the case of the Bestiaries, the content seems to be protected, but the pictures are nice. I open the relevant Bestiary by typing in the monster... Hill Giant, save as, then click on the auto generated link and open in a New Tab. Then click on the image, which enlarges it. Snaggit to grab the image. Copy that to the click board. Then from there, I can paste it into a Realm Works picture for revealing to the group from within the RW adventure/encounter section without needing to open the bestiary. I can also save the image and then my VTT can use it for the creature type or Hero lab can use it for the picture. Generally the HL picture and the RW picture is the same, but not always.
Ualaa is offline   #4 Reply With Quote