Thread: Gen Con 2017
View Single Post
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 26th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I think the concern is that the present users of RW are only those who do it themselves.
True and as PArody pointed out its certainly due to the lack of a means to share that info.

Quote:
The crowd, which IME is the majority of GM's, who buy everything and simply run what they buy have no use for RW until they can buy modules and AP's in RW format so why would they even go to as RW seminar?
Well, maybe. But would also add that many utilize conventions and seminars to get a peak on upcoming events, items etc... so IMO I don't think it's a good measure for lack of attendance but lack of interest. Again, the other telling part (as Parody mentions) was only 22 chose to attend out of 60k? certainly a deflating forecast in any perspective.
Now to flip that part of the debate its not like all 60 could attend if they did chose to... ( I think the capacity was 50-75 maybe?) but fairly possible if the interest were high enough that Gencon would have located it to a larger venue... donno....

Quote:
If you want a taste of the numbers difference go to the PFS ballroom or D&D AL hall at the next GenCon. Ask around in there.
Actually I did, since Anna was working up in the ballroom, I spent several hours discussing Realmworks and Herolab with those in line to print PC sheets. And to add most had interest in Herolab and what it could do, but 1 in hundred even asked about RW and most of those were indifferent at best even when pointing out the good features it does possess (ie auto linking, etc). As Anna is a personal friend I tried to be supportive as a third party in those "sales" conversations but most that asked while waiting in line have never heard of RW or have heard or reviewed too many of the drawbacks of campaign management aspects mentioned at nauseum here (lack of viable print options, real time updating, calendars, even 32bit platform were only a few of the mentioned items). So it was hard to be neutral or positive around those other than to say " working on it and soon".

Quote:
Many of those guys play nothing but the organized play campaign and even the ones who play outside of it still only play pre made stuff. The number of GM's who custom make their own worlds and adventures is really quite small.
And while that is certainly true in a convention atmosphere, its all the more reason why they would have little need for Realmworks as a "campaign manager" but moreso as a game manager, thus not needing the majority of supporting items we here have been waiting patiently for.
just 2cp

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #30 Reply With Quote