Thread: Organization
View Single Post
Strategon

Old January 25th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa974 View Post
Regarding organization I am in the midst of deciding on how I want to organize my World Almanac. I can't decide whether making cast lists for all people, or to nest them where they currently are located.

My OCD problem is that I loose my visual organization if I make these long, long cast lists. I can, as an example, make a Sub cast list (People of the North - People of Waterdeep) to create some organization, but it still will be a long, long list. I'll have to use search if I want to find someone, which is ok I guess as the lists gets bigger.

Having Cast lists and use relationships is stronger, but I can't get over that I like the idea of nesting.

How are you guys doing?
I make cast lists for everything I need and leave all my cast lists in the cast list section. Resist the urge to nest everything and just link to the cast list from within your content where and when you need to.

It's tempting to create one big nested hierarchy so you can just see it all in one view; however, it becomes way to large and has a negative effect of seeing too much in one view.

Learn to rely on the fantastic linking system. Create the skeleton of your content first, then as you fill in the details you get the autolinking. The main reason for doing it this way is so that you can enter in an individual once and use it multiple places. One particular individual in a cast list could be used in multiple locations, scenes, etc. You don't want to have to move them around because your are using a location based hierarchy.

Last edited by Strategon; January 25th, 2017 at 11:10 AM.
Strategon is offline   #26 Reply With Quote