View Single Post
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 29th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycnh View Post
Also, I installed my first copy on a Windows 8 machine, with plans to put it on my Windows 7 desktop later and kinda work between the two, but it said something scary about binding my key to a Microsoft account or something. What's up with that? Will it get in the way when I go to put this on 7?
What we are trying to convey is that on a single computer you associate a particular Windows account to a particular Realm Works account. So you cannot change the Realm Works user once you have set it up on that particular Windows machine/account. If you have two Realm Works accounts and want to use them on the same machine, you would only be able to do that by having two Windows accounts, one for each Realm Works user.

On another computer, it can be a completely separate Windows account that you use, but it would still be limited to a single Realm Works account.

In the future, we may look at changing that limitation, but for now, it is in place.

Quote:
Also, there definitely needs to be a "export to realm/import from realm", because I got very sad when I realized that any custom categories and entries I made would have to be done over again from scratch if I ran a second world.
This is planned for a future release to be able to make realm data available to other realms. It will come in time.

Quote:
Side note: While I was experimenting and writing this, I actually managed to crash the program. Not criticizing that - I expected a few bugs since we kinda rushed you all, and I /am/ experimenting heavily with it. I actually want to compliment you on the error reporting procedure, because it was a lot cleaner than what I see on most programs.
We are using a third party library providing this functionality for us and it helps us to fix the crashes due to the detail it can provide. I would like to ask for you and anyone else who gets a crash, please feel free to add as much detail as possible to the notes of the crash report as every little bit of information can help us find and fix the errors faster. It also can help if you include your e-mail address so we can contact you with further questions, if needed. But it is fine if you prefer to submit things anonymously but please do submit the reports as it does help quite a bit.

Quote:
- After my crash, it said I was already in under another session and asked if I wanted to kick the old me. Does that mean I was eating up a connection on your server for the last 29 hours straight while I had the program running idle? Would it be better for you guys if I made "Work Offline" the SOP until I was ready to sync stuff?
We don't maintain active connections for the whole period. They will timeout and get re-established as needed, so don't worry about keeping logged in when idle. Also, if there is a crash or it otherwise terminates abnormally, we end up still having a "logged in" state from the server. If you are using Realm Works on a single computer, it is always safe to re-login if you get that message. It can kick off sessions on other computers if you are using Realm Works from multiple computers.
davidp is offline   #4 Reply With Quote