Thread: Auto-link
View Single Post
Silveras

Old August 18th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Common words like "kitchen" or "stairs" as names for location topics are a problem... but the solution suggested is less than desirable overall. For example, there is no reason to think that a later part of an adventure will not reference an earlier part. In that case, you would *want* the topics to auto-link.

For my own use, I sometimes re-name a location with a too-common name (so "Stairs" in Adventure 1 Part 1 becomes "Warehouse Stair 1", and "Stairs" in Adventure 1 Part 2 becomes "Mansion Stair 1", for example). I also do this because when the topic is revealed to the players, the name may contain information they do not yet have (such as re-naming "Pete's bedroom" to "Northwest small bedroom").

The Prefix and Suffix fields can help here. I am using the Suffix to differentiate by broader location ("Warehouse" or "Mansion", using the above examples).

My main point though, is that I want the auto-linking to find prior references.. if only because while entering material, something has to come first, and I want material added later to "find" its references.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote