View Single Post
McTaff

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
That's exactly what we envisioned as a common use, so that's part of the design.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost.php?p=46622&postcount=23

It goes so much further than a simple "can show a picture", too. At the flick of a 'switch', to be able to throw up a screen saver image while you hurry to organise something for them to look at, or having a combat tracker with initiative order (as in my previous post) the possibilities are endless. As lok as RW will be able to output pictures (jpg, gif, tif, raw, etc), have a limited video capability (mov, mp4, wmv) etc, and still have the flexibility to show a lot of information in a tidy and easy way, it'll be a winner.

Hey, I have a clipboard with an "embarrased DM" logo I printed up that I put in front of my DM screen while I'm working on something unexpected in the campaign. I have folders and folders full of pictures that I have to find, hand out and re-catalog after ever session. This feature of RW will make my life easier (and cheaper because i don't have to keep printing stuff).

----

One more suggestion - but a big one: How about a map tracker?

Whenever my party go for a dungeon crawl, I give a graph paper mathematics book to one of the players and describe the number of squares they need to sketch out. What would be nice if there was a 3D map tracker that allowed the DM to (if they wish) designate down to even a 5-foot-square by 5-foot-square resolution, what the party sees

(I envisage a minesweeper like grid that I simply drag the mouse over and click away the "fog of war" for them which then shows on their screen they can see.

The advantage is that you can beforehand (or on-the-fly) designate areas as "dark" or "treacherous footing" or "under guards and wards" or any number of conditions, and therefore get the radii of pre-cast/permanent/just-been-cast spells correct and be able to, at a glance, tell the party if they can see where that lightning bolt comes from. Nothing worse than getting halfway through the battle, the party are carving up some relatively easy foes, only to realise they were supposed to have been under a darkness spell or something that would have made the battle much more difficult. This way, at least, on my screen I'd be able to see what conditions are active, and what radius they have, and where the creatures are.

-

Obviously, having a battlefield tracker to go with it would be epically awesome, so I can move my creatures around that are invisible, or out of sight, and each creature can nicely have it's hitpoints and conditions easily tagged, along with the party as well.

Oh the possibilities.

-

Are these the sort of things we will see in a post-release RW?

Last edited by McTaff; November 11th, 2010 at 02:58 AM.
McTaff is offline   #30 Reply With Quote