View Single Post
TobyFox2002

Old July 7th, 2019, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
In Pathfinder, skills are Rank + 3 if you are trained, or just Rank if not... In 3.X you could buy up to 4 ranks in skills at first level in a class skill. Pathfinder effectively changed the way skills work by having you limited to 1 rank per level not 4 ranks at first level. The adjustment to skill requirements in Pathfinder is part of the conversion process, in essence, you cannot convert the material directly and just use it as is... In 3.x a minimum of 8 ranks in a skill was effectively a level limit of 5th level, in Pathfinder 5 ranks in a skill meets that requirement. Hence why you see converted Prestige Classes end up like this... its based on what level you meet the requirements that makes it a conversion...

This is true in a direct sense when converting things by the book and going by specific rules. However, there is a school of thought that believes that keeping the higher number of skills to inflate the required levels helps balance classes. Keeping feats, abilities and PrC's that were overpowered in 3.x from being so in Pathfinder.

As I stated in my reply, I do not subscribe to this view, mainly because I think the entire concept of Overpowered Content is total rubbish. A skilled GM, working with players who dont want to be disruptive can balance things on the fly while keeping any flavor that higher powered content gives. (Except for RGG's Horrifically Overpowered Feats, which are just plain CRAAAZY :P).

And, I also stated that I did not follow my own rule in this matter for the Dragonrider class, something I will be correcting for my next release, sometime in late September or Mid October.

-------------------------------------

PS., I will be making a forum post regarding the future of the converted content and my plans for the converted content and Pathfinder 2e (or potential lack thereof depending on what replies I get to some questions).

The post will also contain a list of the major changes for the next release. I intend to make this post sometime within the next week or so.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #193 Reply With Quote