Thread: Calendars
View Single Post
Ash Nazg

Old May 7th, 2019, 11:25 AM
I understand that some people are really resigned to this, some have developed work-arounds, and some people really don't care, but it's an important part of serious campaign management. I'm particularly surprised (and somewhat concerned) by users' apparent resignation, given their past posts on the matter.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
For what we pay for RealmWorks we get a very useful and feature-rich campaign manager. We are not owed anything else.
I would say "feature rich" can still be lacking -- even lacking important features. Yes, there's no denying that RW has a lot of nifty management capabilities (like linking) but from a mechanical standpoint, custom calendars are an important feature of managing a campaign and campaign events, and not having it also hobbles other features. For example, timelines and even linking are less useful without custom calendars. From a role-playing standpoint, as some folks on this board have already pointed out, they really add to the immersion.

Quote:
Calendars have long been asked for, a desire fueled by it being a possible feature that was highlighted in the Kickstarter (if I remember correctly).
As Kbs666 pointed out, custom calendars were more than a "possible" feature. Custom calendars are highlighted as an existing feature in the Kickstarter video (at the 6:40 mark) and they're listed on the Kickstarter page under the "summary of the most important features" (note the phrase, "most important"):
  • Create custom calendars for your world. Link multiple calendars together and see how all the dates translate to your master calendar. Calendars can reflect different in-game cultures, lunar calendars, and worlds.
I'm sure at least some people purchased RW believing the tool supported custom calendars. This sort of feature is prominent -- and well-implemented -- in other world/campaign managers, such as World Anvil.

Quote:
... for most users this is apparently not a priority. Other features have been voted for over calendars.
There isn't enough data to support this assertion. The only thing we know(?) is that other features seem to have been voted higher in a survey. That does not necessarily indicate "most users." Surveys are notorious for receiving a small number of responses relative to the number of potential respondants.

Quote:
Also, custom calendars do not seem to be enough of a competitive advantage nor something that is going to draw lots of new users and drive much revenue. No, I don't have any numbers to back this up. Just conjecture on my part based on years of conversation with other users and the devs in this forum.
Similarly, I obviously can't speak for others but I, for one, started using World Anvil because they support custom calendars and integrated timelines.

Quote:
Then you have individual player reveal, enhanced and customizable pins, and many more features that have equally vocal users.
These are all good, useful, and desireable features (customizable pins!), but none of them are integral to a campaign setting/information, itself. I can't reveal date/time information to my players -- individually or all at once -- if I can't record the information to begin with.

Again, just my two cents.
~Ash
Ash Nazg is offline   #30 Reply With Quote