View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old February 7th, 2015, 12:51 PM
[EDITED TO CORRECT FACTUAL INACCURACIES AND TO "TONE DOWN" THE ORIGINAL POST]

Based on the recent survey results, and calendars not making the top of the list of desired features, it looks like it could be another 6-9 months before custom calendars will be supported. In the meantime, I would still like to use the custom-made calendars that I created and would like an easy way to perform conversions among them. For example, I would love to enter a date and have it spit out that date in the four main custom calendars that I could then just cut and paste into event articles in RW. Eventually, when custom calendars are supported, this will not be necessary, but it would be a very helpful stop-gap if there were some way to easily perform custom-calendar to Gregorian date conversions.

I've spent a lot of time looking at various products, but have not found anything that meets my requirements. The easy thing to do is to just select some historical or lesser-known religious calendars and use them as there are products that will support an impressive array of real-world, but lesser-known calendars.

I've read up calendar coding (e.g. Dersowitz's Calendrical Calculations) but am not a software developer and it just don't have the time right now to properly study and learn to do this myself. I am thinking of posting a project to Guru.com to see if someone can create a java script to do this for me, but before I do, I thought I would reach out to the community and see whether there is anything that I've missed.

My bare minimum requirements are:

I want to enter any date from Gregorian (because that is what RW uses), past or future, and have the script spit out converted dates for two to three custom calendars. None are particularly foreign from the Gregorian. For example one is just 12 months of 30 days with 5 intercalary days (6 every four years). Another is based on old norse (old icelandic) calendars but I'm ignoring the runic half-months. I was also using the Harptos calendar for some realms, but can drop it.

It would be great if there was some way to configure additional calendars, but that seems to be asking too much (which is why I was excited when I thought that RW would support that, I just have not found anything else that does).

[Admin Edit: See post #7 below for more details.]
(I've edited this post to remove the inaccuracies of the original and make the tone less negative. In the original I misstated/exaggerated the time estimate for calendars. Rob had correct to state 6-9 months).

Last edited by MNBlockHead; February 8th, 2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Misrepresentation that required clarification - See Post #7 below for more details.
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote