View Single Post
LazarX

Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhtroll View Post
As with phones, Android devices will outnumber iOS soon - it is only a matter of time. When you can get Android tablets on sale for $49 it is a much more affordable solution for the price conscious gamer.

It matters little to me since I have both -- my workplace has gifted me with a new ipad along with a macbook pro. But what my Android tablet could do for $4 (splashtop remote desktop purchase running HL from my desktop) cost me $20 plus $17 each subsequent year on the ipad, not to mention lots of other little problems with the app store (only one of a particular type of app, far more free apps on droid cost $ on ipad, having to download things like goodreader just to use dropbox syncing, and I am sure several more to come)

Android is already more versatile than Apple. That plus price means the audience will shift in the next 24 months.
I've used those El Cheapo Android tablets, and have discovered why many of them wind up in drawers and on Ebay lists. Quite frankly to say that you get what you paid for, does not describe the terrible performance and software issues you get on the cheap tablets, many of which have faded away from the market as I write this. You want performance, you have to pay for it, and you'll see what I mean when you try to work with Pathfinder PDFs, even the Lite versions.

As far as fragmentation, usage reports tell the story. 95 percent of IOS users are running the current version of the software as opposed to the multi-colored Pie aspect of Android with users scattered all across from 2.2 to the latest version of 4.

Using free apps on Android (and on IOS to a lesser degree) comes with a cost... constant add pushing eating at your data plans. I'll download a free ap to try something out, but if I don't like it enough to purchase the paid version and silence the adds, it goes into the bit bucket.
LazarX is offline   #124 Reply With Quote