View Single Post
ich.pdf

Old April 24th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Well, I am relatively new to the community, but I will try to answer your questions. The more experienced members will correct me if I am wrong :-) I don't know masterplan, so I can not compare the functionality of masterplan and RW

1.a) You can create the encounters in HeroLab by preparing a portfolio and integrate this into the relevant topic for that part of your adventure. Then you can either open this portfolio in an instance of herolab by simply clicking on it or - if you maintain a PC - portfolio with all the PCs of the party - you can integrate this portfolio into the one running in hero lab. Hero Lab and RW can be run simultaneously.

1.b) I am not sure what you mean. You can have notes on the encounter in Realm Works: Modifiers that apply according to lighting or other environmental conditions. You can flesh out the scene in RW, have a description, text to read to the players, notes for you as GM/DM. What you can not do is using RW s a Virtual Table Top. A few users found workarounds but most of them - and I do, too - will recommend to use a dedicated software for that purpose. Maybe a very basic functionality will be implemented in the future but certainly no dynamic lighting or something like that. I personally don't use VTT anymore. Even for combat, I try to use only descriptions. That really makes imagination more vivid and VTTs can be a horrible slow down in both preparation and actual play. If it gets rough, I have a whiteboard. 20 bucks, and you're good to go :-D

1.c) no, see 1.a)

1.d) Yes, you can save Syrinscape links into realm works and easily start effects and moods from within realm works. This will start syrinscape and the respective sound. I recommend to have syrinscape already open in background - launching the program can cause a little delay. But it's super cool together with RW :-D By the way, Spotify works as well.

1.e) Yes, that is player edition. It is not live, so you have to upload your realm before they can download it. Players are only downloading revealed information. they will have to buy it - or you buy it for them. It is relatively cheap compared to the GM Edition. If you buy it in a bundle for five, you can get it for $ 5 I think. However, there is a web version planned, that is for free but has fewer functions. From the top of my head, players won't be able to take their own notes in the web version..

2.a) Depends. Just for character generation, you could sit all together and use one computer. However, you can purchase additional license keys up to a total of 5. You get 2 with the software right away, and each of the following will be $ 9.99. But each of those keys will have acces to all of the content that you purchased.

2.b) You can maintain your character in HeroLab and use HeroLab as character sheet. However, this would make it necessary for the players to either have one of your keys or a seperate license with the relevant content. I personally print (yes, it is possible) the character sheets for the players from time to time and let them take notes if something changes. Keeps the pen & paper feeling alive :-) And at least for shadowrun, you can add rule summaries for the items and qualities etc, so the player have everything at their fingertips that they need. However, I maintain the characters in Herolab as well and my version is the primary and deciding one in case of conflict. This way, I see better chances to convince them to buy a realm works copy, what is much more important to me.

Hope this helps ^^

Last edited by ich.pdf; April 24th, 2016 at 10:15 AM. Reason: minor amendments
ich.pdf is offline   #2 Reply With Quote