View Single Post
Tashtego

Old December 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
I found the Advancement tab rather clunky to use for NPC building, especially when I wanted to track their XP expenditure. It's solely designed for building a PC and incrementing their power through XP, little bit by bit, session after session. Why do I want to track XP for NPCs rather than just randomly give them stuff? It's good to have an NPC relative to the PC's power-level. Sure, I can use the NPC builder function and merrily click on dots, but I've got no idea how much XP I'm spending. That's something I want HL to calculate for me.

Also, if the PCs gain XP, I might want to power up my big bad to provide a decent challenge. Hence the desire to spend more XP on an existing NPC and not go through all of the fuss of the Advancement tab, especially if I wish to tweak or undo a setting.

It's also painful to use the advancement tab when creating PCs that start with, say, 150 XP or so, as it forces me down this linear list of adjustments and if I need to undo something or fiddle with my build, it gets tricky. I'd much rather use the initial screen. It's all fun when I do the base character, and then there's the groan as I have to get to the dreaded advancement tab as it's cumbersome and fiddly, especially when doing all of the XP in a big batch.

Maybe lock down the base build, but then use the same editing features to add XP, rather than the Advancement tab interface? And the have a special screen than tracks all of the XP expenditure in a list or table, so you can rearrange the order of these expeditures or delete them at any point of the list without disturbing the rest of the list?
Tashtego is offline   #4 Reply With Quote