View Single Post
mirtos

Old March 7th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Imper1um > You are correct that the amount of bandwith involved is not very much. And I do see your point on where you are coming from, on why it is important to you. I know that devices in game can sometimes be distracting.

Many people in this forum are technical. Some of us are developers that understand some of the intricacies and complexities in these sorts of requests.

Things tend to be more complex than just bandwith. There are two ways to do this. Push technology and polling technology. Both have problems. Especially when you are taking servers. If things were just about bandwith, you would be 1000% correct. Hell, you might still be correct, as none of us can really speak intelligently about the infrastructure in place. That being said, since syncs are already in place, maybe all that has been considered. So I'm willing to drop the technical argument and go back to the user-case one.

Assume for a minute that there are no performance concerns in mind, that still doesnt negate my point that auto sync should still be optional.

I generally am opposed to software that does forced updates without approval, I honestly believe notifications are a better method, at least for software that exists on someone's computer.

Everyone is going to have a different workflow. it sounds like that for your workflow its a necessity. For my workflow, it would be extremely problematic. Thats something to consider when making requests, something that accommodates multiple workflows. There's going to be some really odd workflows that you probably havent considered, but have to absolutely be considered when you do this.

So I would, at the very least, alter your suggestion to two realm level settings:

Setting 1: Auto Sync upon Saves
Setting 2: Notify Sync/Force Sync to "watchers" (this would be players and/or the new observer role that is also being suggested.

To be honest, Im not sure this is enough for some of the more interesting workflows out there.

Last edited by mirtos; March 7th, 2015 at 06:49 PM.
mirtos is offline   #18 Reply With Quote