View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old January 13th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Redbeard, I watch the Maptools video and while it looked neat and would be great from a player's perspective, as a DM it look like a pain in the rear.

Having to draw in the sight lines just seems like extra hassle.

Really, I think that I'm learning that I'm the type of DM that doesn't want to build a video game out of my role-play sessions. For the most part, throwing up a map, using fog of war/world and theater of the mind is what most encounters will be.

When tactics and positioning are more complex, I use a wet erase battle map and a mix of mini, tokens, and rocks. If I find the time, I would like to create more dungeon tiles. I could see using a VTT to replace dungeon tiles and battlemats because it would be easier to load a digital map and put digital tokens on it, but that detracts from fun of players moving their own minis (or rocks, bottlecaps) around. It is less engaging for at-table play.

A mixed-media approach like what Nikmal uses is really nice. I REALLY want in on one of his games and am bummed I can't make Con of the North this year. BUT as a DM myself, I don't know if I want the extra work.

Also, the recent announcement of the DnD 5e SRD release under an OGL has shifted my priorities. My short term goal is to buy HeroLabs with the 5e SRD material and see how its enounter builder works. One I get HL smoothed into my workflow (assuming I find it helps me manage my 5e games), then I may take another look at VTTs at the table.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #22 Reply With Quote