View Single Post
zarlor

Old February 11th, 2017, 02:46 PM
CC would have to comment on his meaning, but I'm pretty sure your right that .stock files are not, inherently, portfolio files (although I suppose they could contain portfolios). I think they are a zipped collection of files usually mean to be similar to a .hl file, often containing what we usually work with as .1st and .user files. I could be completely wrong about that, of course, but that's what I think they essentially are.

I also pointed to a link in an earlier post which talks about a stock file being a form of collected portfolio file (http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....olios_(Savage))

One of the things it says there, though, about how .stock files are, presumably, just porfolios is the following:
Quote:
Stock portfolios are standard portfolios. They contain one or more characters that the user is expected to import into his current portfolio. The key difference between stock portfolios and user-created portfolios is their placement and filename. Stock portfolios must reside in the data folder along with all the data files for the game system. They must also possess a ".stock" file extension.

This distinction accomplishes two goals. First of all, the files are kept separate from normal user-created portfolios, both based on filename and location. Secondly, the files can be readily identified and included when packaging up your data files for sharing with others.

You can use HL to create a stock portfolio. The default file extension used for portfolios is ".por", but you can simply specify a file extension of ".stock" when saving the file. After that, you can open it and manipulate it normally within HL.
Not sure if that elucidates anything, though. Especially since the wiki is woefully out of date.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; February 11th, 2017 at 02:53 PM.
zarlor is offline   #27 Reply With Quote