Thread: Gen Con 2017
View Single Post
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 26th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
I only went to the Content Market seminar and I know they were recording that one.
Well that's good to know. Perhaps we will have some partial ones at least? (@ BJ)

I sat in on the Realm Works 101 Streamlined on Friday and the Herolab on Saturday and didn't see any evidence that they were filming.. but I have known to fail my spot check... hehe:
I was scheduled to go to the content market one you mentioned, but opted to skip and spend time with Tim Kask, Mike Carr, and Luke Gygax, for me a no brainer trade.

One "interesting thing" I observed in the Friday RW seminar was at the beginning. Joe polled the audience (22 people) and asked:
1> How many were players? 1
2> How many were DMs(GMs) 21
3> How many used RW for Novel / Story Writing? 1
4> How many purchase pre-made modules for their gaming table? 2
5> How many create their own game / campaign worlds?18
6> How many use a campaign setting? 3

The most interesting one I found was #4, and IF it's a microcosm of the large community it flies in the face of RW business model for purchase content.

The big (and long endured) push for the Content market against this small sampling shows a possible contradiction. Based on that impromptu poll, DMs aren't using prepackaged modules for their campaign worlds. They are using their own, others, cannibalizing, and generic ones that they "shoe-horn" into their worlds. This would suggest the negotiated IP with publishers might be a separate issue than the sharing of info where the demand truly is. Now not suggesting that anyone's submissions don't require protecting, but I would think that is a bit more simplistic than the IP / Licensing dealing with the publishers. Now economically, there would certainly be the cash flow that LW needs from the publishers that may not be equaled by private submission.

I just found it odd that the snippet of attendees and their wants, needs, and use was contrary to what RW has been working these last few years toward.

For myself, I'm unlikely to purchase pre-made publisher items since my world (Greyhawk) has been shelved by hazbro for some time now. I would be more likely to use it to swap with other "GHers" or game mechanic piece if I used the content market at all. So the market has far less value for me than the other items that have been continually deferred.

How did you see the one you attended?

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #27 Reply With Quote