View Single Post
Jhalad

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I'll admit, the editor is not incredibly easy, especially since it uses a unique programming language. But, that said, I've been learning by stealing. ie. I find another feat/trait/prestige class/etc that emulates what I want, and then just copy the code over. It would be great if there were a GUI that allowed all of this to go in easier, but the existing GUI covers the basics really well. There are A LOT of feats/traits/prestige classes out there that are simply too varied to allow for the makers of HL to cover all predictable aspects, especially at such a low price.

I bought Microsoft Frontpage years ago to easily create my own SRD, which I continue to make and use to this day. It cost $200, and covered most of what I wanted to do very easily. That said, it was made by dozens of people over hundreds of man hours by a company with the resources to do it.

Hero Lab has probably only a 10th of the resources that Microsoft does, and still manages to put out a decent product. Could it have more, yes? Could it have a lot yes? Heck yeah. I'm sure that the HL staff with continue to update and improve the base program as they can, but until then, we just gotta work on it as we can and learn. Programming is never easy, but I personally like the challenge. One thing I do wish for the whole stealing/converting aspect is that there was a list of common commands that change between versions of games (ie. translating something from 3.5 to pathfinder).

All I can say is, you can't have everything. Try and be patient and enjoy what is there already. In support of your ideas, I, too, would like to see a filter based on prestige points for buying gold piece items, and the ability to customize the character sheet some would be great. Be patient, and they'll get to it. They've got a massive amount of stuff on their plates, and the fact that they respond to our questions/posts on the forums as fast as they do is a great plus.
Jhalad is offline   #8