View Single Post
Azhrei

Old August 11th, 2020, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
I kind of get where you're coming from, but when your suggestion is "give us the product free", that feels a bit one-sided. �� Especially since one of the reasons they have licenses, and so few employees, is because people don't want to pay.
Huh? They already provide the product for free. Anyone can go to the App Store and download it, no cost whatsoever.

That's kind of the problem — LW wants everyone to be able to download it free and then use the license key to make them pay, and Apple wants a cut. Which I don't agree with, but that's not the point.

My suggestion was to remove the license key requirement from the app and move it to the desktop program instead. So the user must install the desktop version and "unlock" the files there, then copy them to the iPad. If the only way to get the files onto the iPad is via the desktop program, then LW still has control, but there's no license key and thus nothing for Apple to complain about.

The point in posting here, though, is that without stirring up some controversy over Apple's approach, there won't be any pressure on the App Store to change. Apple thinks that their services segment is "the mother of all opportunities" (quoted straight from "Tim Apple", y'know?! ), so making their services segment look bad is the only leverage an app developer can possibly have. Granted, the LW base probably isn't large enough to apply significant pressure by itself, but if the user base for one app makes a stink and adds the voices of users of other apps, then maybe there's a chance...? I just think it's silly to not even try. "Giving up is the only sure way to fail."
Azhrei is offline   #10 Reply With Quote