View Single Post
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Are you getting an error message from this script? I would expect
Code:
tagcount[Discipline.#childname[eachpick]
to report a run-time error, because you should have to use tagcountstr to evaluate a string that's being built during run-time like that.

Why not use "foreach pick in hero from Discipline", instead of running the foreach without a component specified and then checking for a component before doing anything else?

At first reading, tag counts seem like a weird way to handle this, and I'm thinking there will be a better option.

Are these abilities that a class will always have, or that a class may choose to get? Or is it a combination - class X will always get this at a certain level, and class Y can choose this same ability from among a list of options at a certain level?

How large a level can a class have? Are classes in this system something like Pathfinder, with a large number of levels (say 20) allowed for any one class, or are they like Numenera, with only 6 levels allowed for each class? There's a solution I'm thinking of (numbered identity tags for each class) that will work well for a system with a small number of levels allowed for each class, but not if every class needs 20 identity tags (one for each of its 20 levels).

If more than one of the classes the character currently has offers this ability, does it matter which one took the ability? Are there limits on the class as to how many abilities may be taken from that class' own list, for example?

And in your script, please make it more readable by using only 2 spaces at each indentation, not the 6 or 8 I'm seeing there.

Could you add comments to your code, please? I don't understand what each of those lines is trying to accomplish, and more importantly, why each line is doing what it's doing - why does each piece of the code have to be there?

Alternatively, skip the code, and explain the rules you're trying to implement more completely, with some examples, and then I can try to figure out if this is the best way to go about this. What's really important here are the corner cases - what are the weird combinations of classes and abilities that are going to occur, so that we can make sure the code catches the corner cases.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote