View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old March 16th, 2017, 10:46 AM
We now have three examples of what material from the Content Market might look like. The download and import process is simple. The material was professionally prepared. It is VERY nice to have a fully prepped adventure, city, or AP ready to go in minutes. Just game changing for me--literally.

So, now I'm starting to think about the continue role of PDFs and print material in my gaming. Ignoring things you buy just for the purposes of collecting, but purely looking at this in terms of game prep, will you still buy printed material? PDFs?

My thoughts in stream-of-consciousness order:

1. I love to run my games in RW, but I still like to read over adventure modules and APs in print or PDF form.

2. I'm not a huge fan of PDF as a format, but for slimmer material (individual adventures), I think I would just save the money and storage space and want the PDF in additional to RW.

3. I'm feeling more favorable towards the PF module of PDF+RW as part of the purchase. Might be tough on those the paid for all the print stuff, but if I'm just buying new content, I think this is how i would do it for most content. I don't play PF, but I wouldn't mind if Kobold Press, Frog God Games, etc. used a similar model.

4. It would be great if the PDF could be included as an attachment to the imported material. If you are going to have to buy or prove you've already bought the PDF to buy the RW content, might as well include the PDF with the RW content, even if you also get a download link from the publisher's shopping cart.

5. I still like to have books for the big APs and Campaign Settings, especially from publishers that print high quality material. I love paging through Curse of Straud or Storm King's Thunder. I like how they look on my bookshelf. I'm not a collector, I just like the aesthetics of a book and find it easier to relax at the end of a long day to a book than a tablet, especially when there is a lot of content with pictures and tables, etc. I do most of my reading in the Kindle app on my iPhone, but that's for text-only. This will mean, however, doubling the cost of getting that content in RW. It wouldn't take much of discount for the publishers to trigger my impulse buying though. Just show a little love and give a bit of a discount if you by print and digital together. I've found smaller publishers to be cool about this, but I don't expect WoTC to be and PF is better, but not flexible. I will likely be buying evening more of my material online and even less of my money will go to my FLGS.

What about you? I read a number of you saying that you would be ditching your books entirely once you can get the content from the Content Market. Is that still true? Will you read over larger adventures completely in RW?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote