View Single Post
thaX

Old March 28th, 2020, 01:30 PM
It has always confused me as to why a character generator (an aid to the Pen and Paper game) would need to organized and be used as an initiative tracker.

It would be nice as a tool in addition to using it to keep track and create characters as HLC had done, but I really wanted to have the character generator finished first before using it in conjunction to the campaign initiative tracker.

To be fair, though, this is a bit more robust than what HLC had, and uses the online connectivity to it's advantage. My use of the App would be of the character generation side, not the campaign theater add on that seems to be the focus now. Having a good, printable character sheet, which has gotten better than the block a lot 14 page monster, is paramount. I am not going to have this at the table. at all. I will be going off the printed page or my own character sheet. The uses that this app does in real time is not useful as I will not be using it in that way, and the Campaign Theater seems to be more and more going in the direction of doing away with the pen and paper completely.

I liked the program (HLC), however I do realize that it had its limitations much like Etools had various limitations that Code Monkey had to deal with right from the beginning after they took it over. I don't know if those limitations were elemenated with the new App (HLO) or if there are new ones that the newer systems haven't needed to overcome yet, but it has gotten better over the last year. I realize that that App is meant to be a living character sheet type of interface, but my look at it is as a means to eventually have a stated out character in hand instead of a tablet or reader.

This is the main reason I have not purchased this program as of yet. I need either an offline way to access characters, or a better printed character sheet that has all the info needed to play the character, specifically in PFS organized play (or SFS). Preferably both.

What I don't really need is the connected initiative tracker, dependant on internet connection that I may not have. (Specially during Conventions like Gen Con)
thaX is offline   #1 Reply With Quote