View Single Post
SeeleyOne

Old July 29th, 2014, 01:37 PM
rewSkill has these two effects: it grants a skill point and it counts towards the reward total, as you have noted above. Bootstrapping it also causes those two effects. Bootstrapping an edge has the effect of that edge. OK, so your confusion is why can you buy an edge and it costs an edge or you can bootstrap it for free. It is the nature of how those two different types of things work. It is far more likely that someone get an edge for free, such as by a racial ability or even a magic item, so it is good that it works that way.

So, how to fix your issue? Hmm that one is kind of tricky. To sum it up these are the factors:
1) You want Illiterate to be available, but it is not available as a Hindrance in the setting.

2) If a character is illitererate it gets a +1 skill point on a Smarts skill.

I have never tried it, but you probably could make a list of Smarts skills. But it is easier to just say "hey, here is an additional skill point, have at least one skill point in a Smarts skill and you are good to go".

So you want to be able to pick illiterate and then give a skill point.

First I would go to your custom user file that has a Source applied to it.
Lets call it "BBarb".
Then I would go to the Preclude and create a new preclusion.
I would enter "hinIllit" and haev "BBarb" as the source.
This makes it so that Illiterate is no longer available.

Then I go to the Hindrance tab in the editor. Click on New (Copy) and get the old Illiterate Hindrance. Give it a new ID, maybe hinBBIllit or whatever. Then be sure to give it the same source. This will make it appear in place of the old one. Go ahead and type in something about the skill point in a Smarts skill, maybe even copy-paste the text from Beasts and Barbarians.

Go to its Eval Script. This is how you will make it work for you. Click to add a new one.

Phase is Pre-Traits
Change the Priority from 100 to become 5000

At the bottom, but above the "OK" box there is a gray box that says Timing. Click on that and you will see a little data box by "Before Scripts". Copy paste this into it:
Quote:
Calc trtFinal
Click OK and now time to enter the actual Script
Quote:
~ Gives a free SMRT skill because you so smrt
hero.child[resSkill].field[resMax].value += 1

~ Offset the fact that this is a Hindrance, in this case it is normal.
hero.child[resHinder].field[resMax].value -= 1
herofield[acMaxMinor].value += 1
herofield[acMaxHindP].value += 1
I am also nice in that I tested it to make sure that it works like I said it would. It does. Enjoy and you are welcome. I don't have time enough to churn out the data sets but I can at least give the answers on how to do things.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #7 Reply With Quote