View Single Post
Myridden

Old July 25th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Hi Folks,

Long time Hero Lab user, newish to the editor.

I'm running into this problem too - I'll try to explain the best I can:

I'm working on the Beasts&Barbarians setting - the Hindrance Illiterate is disallowed in this setting, but a hero can choose to be Illiterate, granting a +1 Smarts skill point, and they can later learn to read/write by spending an Advancement option for it.

For purposes of the editor since the rules describe the exact behavior of a free hindrance, I have created a copy and set it to replace the existing default setting hindrance and I'm bootstrapping rewSkill. So far so good.

The problem is, if the player has chosen to be illiterate and then adds other hindrances they fail validation because the normal 2 minor/2 major limit is not ignoring the replacement Illiterate hindrance (the bootstrapped reward sets the reward total to 1 and validation then allows only 3 more points before complaining).

I tried using the hindrance code snippet above on my replacement Illiterate, but then it set the reward total to 2 with +=1 and to Overspent 1/x when a -=1 is used.

I'm hoping there's a way to set the +1 skill and refund the cost, or increment the allowed points from hindrances to 3 minor/2 major only when the Illiterate hindrance is selected, but I haven't found it yet - any thoughts?
Myridden is offline   #5 Reply With Quote