View Single Post
Portilis

Old January 31st, 2015, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
After multiple -200, -300, -500 errors and re-installs and re-re-install- and re-re-re-installs all but one of the machines finally sync'd.
In which case either you're using data that hasn't been updated clearly, you've got other network issues, or you've been really unlucky. My players and I have been running it across 4 different versions of windows (XP, 7, 8.1, and 10), and barring a couple of known issues in the now fairly distant past it's run quite smoothly. The only recent issues I've had with syncing have been cases where I've have -500 errors in situations where I've known that there have been general network issues present.

Quote:
"Charlie testing"
I believe what you're looking for is "Gamma testing".

Quote:
I like what I see, but I can't trust that my data will still be there if it crashes or if LWD goes away? I'll stick to MS Word
As regards the "if LWD goes away", that's true of any software to some extent, but realistically even if they did, existing realms would still work offline, and I'd be surprised if they didn't try to offer some form of solution for handling online service at that point.

Similarly, any software has some crashes.

Quote:
I find the notes useless for journal entry, and if there are no calendars, how will the journal be any different?
Calendars are planned, but overall it depends what you're really looking for in notes and journals.

Quote:
It takes forever to sync
It takes time to sync first time for any decent sized realm, yes. My own master realm is sitting at around 1.5 gig atm, across mainly 4 campaigns. That's about the same as a 45 min HD video, and will take the same amount of time to download.

Further syncing depends on how much data needs to be transferred, and can be quite quick (connection dependant) if there's not much to do.

Quote:
As a herolab user, LWD has made promises for years now that we are still waiting for.
Probably true, but there are always things that get knocked back in any project. Examples would be good, but frankly as someone who is generally pretty actively invested they are one of the best companies I've ever dealt with for listening to what their customers are after.

Quote:
Seems like they cant keep their promises.
Same is true of every software company ever. LWD have been very open when they don't think they're going to be able to keep a deadline however and done their best to explain the reasons, which is a rarity in the software industry.

Quote:
Why take a survey if they don't share the results and do as they want?
Because the survey was for them to find out what their customers wanted. Whilst we might be interested in the results, handing them out is not part of what they are actually there for - the only people who actually ~need~ to know the results are the designers and developers who make the decisions on what is done first.

I'd be interested to know the results as well. That doesn't change the fact that I don't need to know.

The suggestion that they're somehow "manipulating" the results is idiotic. There is no reason whatsoever for it, it would be absolutely appalling business.

Quote:
Why don't they tell everyone what is currently being worked on and what is in the backlog with a start date?
They frequently do tell us what is being worked on. However, going into detail on every item they are working on would take up developer time, which is both a waste and an extra delay.

It is also not a good idea for them to tell us when they're starting work on something new, as in any software project on this scale it is easy to find that you hit a snag that requires significant changes to the underlying structure, at which point you're looking at a big delay. It isn't therefore a good plan to talk about these things too early.

Quote:
Its a waste of our table time, it has taken so much time this week it should have had its own set of dice at the table.
Why are you setting it up during game time? My own group run as weekenders, so probably could have easily spared the time, but we sorted it between games because it made more sense.

Sorry to say, no sympathy on something that is entirely down to your own decisions.

Also of note, doing it all at the same time at the start of the sessions will be another reason the syncing was very slow as you're trying to download several big files at the same time from different machines.

Personally, I've been using it for... some time now. Ever since just after the early release.

It's excellent at what it does. There are other intended plans, but the core aim - campaign management - is very solid. Yes, more player sharing than the player view would be wonderful, and it's something I'm very much looking forward to, but that doesn't make the use as campaign management software any less for the gm.
Portilis is offline   #23 Reply With Quote