View Single Post
dungeonguru

Old June 7th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
They are charging for it: $35 for Starfinder (+3 months service), $15/6 months or $25/year for ongoing service, and there's a couple of add-on products you can buy. Whether it's bringing in enough to pay for its own ongoing development yet I have no idea.
I missed that - but then again I'm not interested until they announce another game system beyond Starfinder that I'm involved enough in to want to join in on.

Honestly, historically, non-IP sci-fi games have been niche and small market. Even the established universe products seem to have a revolving door on publishers, versions and lifetimes - how many Star Wars version have come out so far? Which Traveller version is your favorite?

According to Roll20's Q4 Orr Report for 2017, around 1% of games and gamers are playing Starfinder although the game did only release in August 2017 and they say that it's increasing in popularity.

Still if only 1% of one of the most popular VTTs is playing a game, I can't imagine it's a huge number for the rest of the world either.

Then again, HLC has the market cornered for Pathfinder 1 and HLO will likely lead the market for PF2 when PF2 stops playtesting. If they could only secure a full 5e license they'd smack down dndbeyond because that product needs some severe loving before it compares to LW's polish.

Last edited by dungeonguru; June 7th, 2018 at 11:07 AM.
dungeonguru is offline   #455 Reply With Quote