View Single Post
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 25th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I know just how you feel Invictus, I started exactly where you are, and you might have noticed that I still clog this forum with questions pestering mghel. Most of all, don't give up, I learned basically everything I know by trial and error or help from others on the forums since I started.

I'll try to give you some basic pointers, and I'll rely on wiser heads to correct me where I am wrong.

You mentioned that you ability "Grace" is not showing when you add the swashbuckler class? I think you might have a problem with bootstraps. Once you have created both the class and the class special, you need to link them so that when you add the Swashbuckler class in HL, it brings the grace ability with it.

The link is called a bootstrap, and you can accomplish it through the editor by highlighting the class you made (make sure it is the class not the class level tab) and then clicking on the Bootstrap button in the upper right. That should bring up boxes, which you type in the unique id for the ability you want to bootstrap (Say, "cSwaGrace" for this example). You can hit the button (Click to add another bootstrap) so you can add other class abilities too. This is the basic way that you build a prestige or normal class, by creating the abilities and bootstrapping them to the class.

For class abilities the level they are added depends on the entry in the class special for "Level Requirement" and that is all you should need for Swashbuckler. In some other cases (usually when a class gains a certain feat at a certain level) you might have to add a Condition to your bootstrap, which I won't go into here, but does much the same thing.
Lawful_g is offline   #24 Reply With Quote