View Single Post
chiefweasel

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
I think jack-slash is a lot like me on this one, and I probably should've explained this earlier ...

I don't know anything about writing computer code. And I realize that as a result, some of the things possible in the editor will not be so possible for me. I'd like to learn some of that stuff eventually, and for that reason I thank you Lawful_g, for the lengthy and involved post you provided for me, even though I don't understand a word of it yet. As for the tutorial, I didn't see anything there that I couldn't figure out from knowing the game rules and the fact that I've also worked with the M&M data set.

What I am able to do at this point is hit the buttons that give us choices, and fill in spaces for plain text. So I can add in Spells really easy, and some Feats, too. The Feats that give me a problem are the ones with a prerequisite. 'Cause when I hit the prereq button, I can get this selection menu that looks great, but when I choose from it, I must need to type something else with it (before? after? both?).

Like I say, I'd like to learn the advanced steps sometime. But I don't expect anyone on these boards to give me a full-on free computer programming class, either, so if that's ultimately what I need, I'm probably out of luck. What I am most interested in at the moment is maximizing the utility of what I do know how to do, and recognizing what is within that limit and what isn't. Going back to my "Swashbuckler" Grace example, I created something in "Class special" the other day, and still it didn't show on the character sheet. Does this mean a script is necessary? I was thinking (hoping) that a script only really needed if I wanted the program to do the math, when all I was shooting for at this point was a notation.

Thanks again for your help; I hope letting you know where I'm at on the learning curve makes it a little less frustrating to work with me!

Hey there Inviticus, I also am like you and not a programmer. Even if you were though I beleive the scripting language used by the Lone Wolf guys is created by them (If this isnt true, please corect me). that being said I feel your pain. The one aspect of HL that makes it such a great product is also its greatest weakness, that is that it is highly flexible. I run into problems with code all the time trying to create feats or prestige classes. So far I have been able to muddle through using code examples and pulling information from other HL files. I was extremely lost with HL until I attended a training session at Gen Con last year. I attended one this year as well and earned some new stuff. Although Colen showed me how to create a class variant, which I am still struggling with.

But to address the problem you are having, sometimes a solution comes down to coding. If you are having problems, and it sounds like you are, it might be easier to get some one on one information/help. I can offer my meager knowledge for this, but I might not have the module you are working with. But i can most likely work with the code lawful_g has provided. So if you would like I can take a harder look at the class you are trying to create, but I dont want to promise anything.

On a side note, there is a growing amount of user content available that Lawful_g, Brodin, and myself have created. Just check under the Her Labs User forum for details. But I invite everyone to add user content, eventually all of a game systems content will be available for all users. Which in turn should reduce problems people have with creating content.
chiefweasel is offline   #23 Reply With Quote