View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 7th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
Not sure what your point would be, Toblakai, except that having a browser based character sheet can be used on a phone.
The single most requested thing we've been asked for years is to support Android. And the second most requested thing is to support the full spectrum of tablets and phones across all game systems. Switching to the browser-based model within HLOnline delivers a product that satisfies our #1 and #2 user requests.

Quote:
That would be the case for a character viewer, based on the "classic" herolab por files, which would have been easier to implement, use and develop than a complete rework of the program to work off a server and not do a lot of the work the program already does.
Not exactly. The requests aren't for a static viewer. Users want full character editing capability. They want to do everything via their phone or tablet. And they want it for any device and every game system we support. That's fundamentally different from any sort of viewer derived from an HLClassic portfolio file and requires the full product to be available on all those devices.

Quote:
I do hope that Herolab Online can get the same functionality as the classic program, but it is nowhere near that yet. I believe browser technology has to improve quite a bit for it to be able to get to that level, but unless one of the third party browsers like Chrome or more likely Mozilla subplants IE or "Edge," this won't happen anytime soon. They just took a hit a year ago cutting out Java functions and seem to be more concerned about being "secure" than anything else.
Browser technology already exists today that will allow us to accomplish everything we've got mapped out on our "core features" road map for HLOnline - features that will leave HLClassic in the dust by comparison. We definitely don't have everything in place yet, but the foundation is in place and we're building steadily towards what I see as a vastly more powerful, flexible, and useful product than HLClassic could ever become.
rob is offline   #22 Reply With Quote