Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM
At 02:37 AM 2/18/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
I have been using your hero lab software in order to create some mortal
characters for WoD and I think that your software is very useful for the
storyteller.
The main problem is that I am from Spain and my games are in Spanish, so
it is difficult to use it to create characters for my campaigns.

The question is: are you going to traslate the program to Spanish? Is there
any possibility to access the files that contain the "names" and change them?
Translating the program is distinct from translating the data files. If there is enough demand, we could translate the program itself with a few weeks of work. The problem, though, is that most users view the "product" as the program PLUS the data files. Translating the data files would be a huge task. In addition to all the raw text, lots of elements displayed to the user are pieced together from disparate elements by scripts in the data files, and those would also have to be revised to handle the nuances of different languages. It's a big can of worms, and we're a tiny company, so I don't see that being feasible in the near term.

Your suggestion about changing the names can be easily done, with a couple notable exceptions. You can use the Editor to create a copy of a thing, change the name (or any other text), and designate your new thing as a replacement for the existing thing. This is achieved via the "replace id" field in the Editor. If you do this, then the built-in thing is completely replaced by your new thing within HL. Using this technique, you could systematically (and pretty quickly) replace the names of all skills, merites, disciplines, and the like with their Spanish equivalents.

The notable exceptions include aspects of the data files that are not modifiable via the Editor. These include the list of attributes, categories (e.g. Social, Mental, Physical), and terminology used for labels within the interface (e.g. "Attribute", "Skill", "Merit", etc.). Aside from those elements, everything else should be able to be translated using the technique I outlined above, which covers about 99% of the material in the data files.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote