Thread: snippet tags
View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 20th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
3) The very large realm built by a GM over a long period of time. Every tool that lets the GM and players search the realm more efficiently starts to matter as the number of topics and the age of the realm increases.
I don't see how this connects with snippet tags at all. Searching and filtering identifies TOPICS that contain tags - not individual snippets. Since the tags all end up on the topics via the snippets, there is no difference between the two mechanisms.

Quote:
4) The hybrid realm. Soon people will be combining elements from realms built with snippet tags with stuff they built themselves and a disconnect between those pieces that have snippet tags and those pieces without will result in less than satisfying search results.
Again, I don't understand how this applies. If users are leveraging standard tag-based snippets, then all of those snippets (and their topics) are being tagged EXACTLY the same way as when hybrid tag-based snippets are used with auto-detected snippet tags. So combining elements using the different mechanisms will yield exactly the results that user's want.

This was a fundamental design goal for hybrid tag-based snippets. As far as filtering and searching is concerned, tags are tags. It doesn't matter how they get assigned. So a topic containing a normal tag-based snippet for the race "dwarf" will be located exactly the same as a topic containing a hybrid tag-based snippet that contains the text "dwarf" and that has the tag auto-detected. I recommend you give this a try and see for yourself. It may resolve any confusion that is still lingering here.

Quote:
Now that I, and anyone else reading this thread, know I can take steps to deal with this in the future. But it just seems to me that if there is the functionality to force a scan of a snippet by hand it should be possible to create a setting to cause every snippet to be scanned every time a topic is save just as is done for links. This is probably what people expect.
I believe you're overlooking a critical factor here. When snippets are scanned for tags, ALL EXISTING AUTO-DETECTED TAGS ARE THROWN AWAY. Using your suggestion, that means you would have to re-select all the snippet tags every time you saved the topic. I'm pretty sure this is NOT what users would expect.

In order to do what you propose, we would have to track exactly where every tag was detected in every snippet, just like we do for links. That's the only way that we can preserve all the previous tags when the next scan is performed. We explored that option, and it's a LOT of extra complexity. For a highly questionable ROI when compared to all the other things we could be focusing our energies on.

As I indicated up-thread, we may need to re-visit how we deal with auto-detected snippet tags in the future, but there needs to be a clear justification for all the work involved. That means a commonly employed use-case that has not emerged among users thus far.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote